Built in 2003, the Great Lakes Center is the most recent addition to the UA
training center system. This facility is the home base for the United Association's
annual summer Instructor Training Program. This five year program trains nearly two
thousand UA Instructors with forty hours of classroom and hands-on training experience.
Upon graduation, instructors then become certified to teach apprentices and journeyworkers
at their home local. The Center also hosts the UA Office Professional training program
each year in August.
The 15,000 square foot Great Lakes Center is a flexible facility designed to accommodate
lab activities, computer-based learning, and classroom training. Each training room in the
Great Lakes Center is fully-equipped for video conferencing using Polycom camera equipment.
What We Do
The Great Lakes Center:
Over 27,000 UA apprentices and 3,000 instructors and journeyworkers participate in college credit
programs at Washtenaw Community College. Each year the Great Lakes Center awards over 170,000
college credits to UA members.
- Schedules classes in the Great Lakes facility;
- Answers any questions you have about training center services;
- Assists students in web-based classes using Blackboard;
- Helps Instructors develop online classes;
- Facilitates student participation in College on Demand® courses;
- Provides academic advising for Washtenaw Community College Associates Degrees; and
- Evaluates transfer credits from other academic institutions.
Rodrigo Jara, Training Specialist, Great Lakes Training Center
Scott Klapper, UA Programs Administrator
Kim Billings, Union Trades Training Coordinator
Laurel Keller, UA Distance Learning Coordinator
Mike Griffith, WCC-UA Student Services Coordinator
Gloria Eccleston, College On Demand™ Coordinator
BEFORE SHIPPING FREIGHT, or ANY PACKAGE OVER 70 POUNDS YOU MUST CALL Kim Billings (734) 973-3359 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need to ship a small package (to the Great Lakes Training Center, we request that you use our main shipping address. If you are shipping something to the campus for the UA Instructor Training Program week in August, please use the UA-ITP week shipping address and include the information that is indicated.
Small Packages - Main Shipping Address
Great Lakes Building (GL200)
@ Washetenaw Community College
4800 East Huron River Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
UA-ITP week Shipping
MUST CALL PRIOR TO SHIPPING!
If you have any questions about shipping a package to the Great Lakes Center, please call Kim Billings at (734) 973-3359 / email@example.com.
From Detroit Metro Airport:
Click here for directions from any location.
- Take I-94 West toward Chicago.
- Merge onto US-23N via Exit 180B toward Ann Arbor.
- From US-23N take Exit 37A (Washtenaw Avenue/Ypsilanti).
- Turn right (east) on Washtenaw Avenue toward Ypsilanti.
- Turn left (north) onto Golfside Road.
- Travel on Golfside about 1/2 mile to the next traffic signal, which is Clark Road.
- Go straight at the traffic signal (the road becomes East Huron River Drive) WCC campus will be on your left.
- Turn left at the second campus entrance - BEFORE the traffic light.
- The Great Lakes Training Center will be straight ahead.
Local Accommodations & Amenities
Since 1989, the Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Bureau has welcomed the duty of assisting all
UA staff, students, and instructors with every imaginable service during their annual Instructor Training
Program at Washtenaw Community College. From securing hotel room blocks to arranging for VIP and spousal
tours, to offering a 24 hour concierge service throughout their week-long training program, the Ann Arbor
Area CVB offers the finest in hospitality services to the UA. The Ann Arbor Area CVB has even assembled
a customized Web site with information dedicated solely
to the Annual Instructor Training Program. The CVB services are available at no charge to groups hosting
meetings, conferences, training, etc. in Ann Arbor, Michigan and the Washtenaw County area.
In their efforts to serve the UA on a more year-round basis, the Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors
Bureau has created a Preferred Volume Rate Program for all UA members from January 1, 2008 through December
31, 2008. Read more about this program on the Ann
Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Bureau's special website for the UA.